Wags & Walks is a 501c3 nonprofit dog rescue in Los Angeles. We are a community of dog lovers working to promote shelter dogs as the best dogs in the world through advocacy of our unique family-friendly foster and adoption programs.
The Vet Tech & Coordinator will be a key member of our medical team and have a unique opportunity to make a major impact on a growing department. This role will be responsible for supporting the execution of routine medical care and monitoring the health and welfare of Wags & Walks dogs both on-site at our adoption center and off-site in foster homes. This role is 70% hands on care of our dogs and 30% coordination of external appointments / medical notation.
Part Time: Monday – Wednesday
Full Time: Monday – Friday
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports with on site medical evaluations and preventative care.
- Administers oral, topical, and injected medications to animals.
- Helps ensure medical updates / intake paperwork are entered into W&W’s internal systems and communicated to appropriate teams in a timely manner.
- Schedules vaccinations, dental cleanings, tests, etc. with fosters.
- Helps schedule appointments and procedures with partner vets.
- Assures that the medical area is kept clean and presentable at all times.
- Helps monitor inventory of medications and supplies.
- Help to oversee and maintain the highest standards of animal care and welfare at all times in accordance with Wags & Walks policies.
- Embodies the core value of collaboration to help establish best practices and protocols for the expanding medical department.
- Perform regular wellness exams at the adoption center and helps to care for dogs with medical needs in isolation.
- Potential to support a vet with off-site surgeries if experienced / interested.
- Must be a dog lover and possess some knowledge of basic dog behavior and needs.
- Must be willing to get your hands dirty, be flexible and reliable.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with a diverse group of employees and volunteers.
- Must have excellent customer service experience, proven attention to detail, good organizational and time management skills.
- Must be a team player and have a positive attitude. Personable, professional, upbeat and energetic.
- Must be comfortable working with ambiguity and assisting in moving W&W forward.
- Able to work independently and with minimal supervision; must also work well with a team.
- Veterinary Technician Certification and/or Licensure and/OR 3+ years of hands on experience (open to training less qualified candidates passionate about rescue work)
- Tech savvy and comfortable with evolving technology.
- Must be able to stand for the majority of the shift.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs to help move kennel crates, dog food, and other supplies.
- Must have a current and valid California Driver’s License.
- Opportunity to join a fantastic team at an incredibly rewarding rescue organization
- Connections to Wags and Walks network of partners
- Competitive pay with time off (full time only)
- Medial, dental, and vision benefits for you and eligible dependents (full time only)
- Holiday pay (full time only)
- Snacks and drinks on site
Hands on Vet Tech and/or Vet Assistant experience, passion for rescue work
About Wags and Walks
Wags and Walks is an LA based non-profit dog rescue that's rescued nearly 11,000 dogs to date