Lead Veterinary Nurse
Mulnix Animal Clinic
Fort Collins, CO
We are an AAHA accredited small animal practice located in Northern Colorado and are looking for a full-time Certified Veterinary Technician. We use our assistants and technicians to their full potential and training is provided to increase technical skills.
We believe in a Whole Person Approach when it comes to our veterinary teams. This includes a living wage for all hospital Team Members, best-in-class benefits, mental health support, and continuous education. Investing in our teams and sharing the growth that they are instrumental in driving are top priorities, which is why every Team Member is eligible to participate in our revenue sharing program as well. All positions come with growth opportunities – whether you are seeking skill development to advance your career or to build additional capacity to better service your community, we custom tailor plans for each Team Members career journey.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Checks patient medical records for past histories, enters treatments and charges in computer.*
- Restrains animals for Veterinarian as required.*
- Maintains client educational material in an efficient manner.*
- Applies knowledge of drawing blood, accessing veins quickly and minimizing patient discomfort to perform testing procedures.*
- Performs specimen testing procedures accurately on blood, urine or other samples according to medical orders using all related equipment and computers.*
- Assists Veterinarian with in-patient care in daily treatments to include maintaining and calculating IV fluids to assure they are still flowing, draws blood samples as requested and passes urithrocatheters.*
- Perform anesthesia induction and monitoring.*
- Dispenses medication and feeds patients as directed.*
- Communicates with patient’s owner by describing medication, possible complications and warnings.*
- Utilizes computer system to enter and reference patient information as needed.*
- Performs necessary lab work such as x-rays, CBC’s, blood profiles, urinalysis, heartworm tests, FELV/FIV tests, fecal tests, cultures and sensitivities and fungus cultures.*
- Documents test results and delivers to appropriate personnel promptly.*
- Prepares specimens for mailing to hospitals according to practice requirements.*
- Assures all materials are in exam rooms for doctors such as otoscopes and nail clippers.*
- Schedules and/or performs routine maintenance of testing equipment.*
- Maintains cleanliness of exam room at all times.*
- Sets laboratory standards, change operations, and provides training to staff as required.*
- Assists in animal care as needed.*
- Handles all tasks associated with x-ray process to include entry of patient information, proper positioning of animals, and preparing forms to be e-mailed or referred as needed.
- Takes medical histories and vital signs of patients.
- Performs departmental housekeeping duties.*
- Admits and discharges patients.*
- Takes, processes and logs prescription refills in-house, call out pharmacy and online pharmacy.*
- Dental prophylaxes, radiographs and charting of teeth
- Other duties as assigned.
*Denotes an Essential Function
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The technician must be able to multi-task. They must be able to think quickly on their feet. They must be able to develop positive working relationships with clients and co-workers.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified Veterinary Technician in the state of Colorado is REQUIRED.
$18- $24/hour dependent upon experience.
The technician must have skills/knowledge on how to perform dental cleanings, charting teeth abnormalities, anesthesia induction and monitoring, surgical preparation, intravenous catheter placement, vaccination administration, venipuncture, in-house lab work, and filling prescriptions. Our new Team Member must work well with others as well as independently, take initiative and thrive in a busy work environment.