This essential position is responsible for the day to day management and continuous improvement within the (Wellness, Spay and Neuter or Shelter Clinic) program. This position supports the Medical Manager, and works collaboratively with the other clinic supervisors to ensure the highest quality of care for all patients. Finally, this role actively promotes spay and neuter, and educates the public on responsible pet ownership as well as promoting and supporting the LA/SPCA’S programs and mission.
Success Criteria & Essential Skills:
- Flexible and adaptable, the successful incumbent will thrive in a fast-paced work environment and is comfortable adjusting daily operations and priorities to meet the needs of our clients;
- Excellent verbal and written communication is necessary in order to help to train and develop veterinary technician staff. This includes partnering with medical manager to address disciplinary issues;
- A safety-first mindset is required in order to identify potential hazards in the workplace and to model proper safety practices and protocols at all times;
- Interested in continuous learning, this individual regularly seeks additional medical knowledge through outside resources and by partnering with medical manager to identify skills gaps in oneself and their team;
- Strong critical thinking skills are necessary in order to identify inefficiencies in current processes/protocols and to recommend/implement solutions;
- Excellent customer service is essential in order to answer client questions and address concerns in a respectful and timely fashion;
- A true team player, the ideal incumbent will be comfortable presenting his/her ideas in a team environment and working collaboratively to identify the best solution or path forward;
- Passionate about animal welfare, the incumbent will treat all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance;
- Position is considered “Essential” in emergencies and/or disaster situations;
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all cases;
- Perform all other duties as needed and assigned by Medical Manager/Clinic Director, including supporting other clinic departments
Minimum Qualifications – Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to demonstrate mastery of all routine technician skills including:
- Client Communication/Education
- Animal Handling/Catheter Placement/Injections
- Assist Veterinarians/Exam Room Protocol
- Laboratory/Digital Radiography Procedures
- Medication Preparation
- Surgical Assistance/Hospitalized Patient Care
- Safety Protocols and Cleaning Standards
- Proficient at Microsoft office and comfortable learning new software/programs.
- Demonstrated interest in continuous learning in veterinary medicine and animal husbandry.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment substance screening.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds; push and pull heavy objects; bend, twist, reach; perform strenuous physical activities including frequent walking and running, standing, bending and stooping.
- Should not be allergic to animals or have nut allergies; must be able to work around all animals.
- Ability to report to work as early as 7:00am and end as late as 6:00pm, available for weekends and holidays.
- Potentially subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Works in an area with a high noise level.
- Must be able to work with industrial strength cleaners and disinfectants.
$19.00-$23.00/hrRequired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
High School diploma required.
Bachelors degree preferred
2+ years experience as a veterinary technician required
Previous experience in a training or managerial role preferred