** Up to $7500 Sign On Bonus**
Vetco Total Care is a new full service, general practice hospital serving the Walnut Creek area. We are seeking compassionate Veterinary Technicians to join our growing team! This hospital is located within the Petco store in Walnut Creek, CA and is well equipped with digital radiology, ultrasound, in-house lab, surgery and dental suites. Apply today to learn why you should join the Vetco Total Care- Petco Family!
Healthier pets. Happier people. Better world. Our vision might sound lofty, but we believe it’s attainable when we obsess about providing complete care for our amazing pets. Our approach goes far beyond addressing our animals’ basic needs to support their physical, mental, social, and emotional needs. By being sure we take all of these elements into consideration, we can help pet parents take the very best care of their pets.
Our obsession with delivering the very best experiences for pets and their parents guides all we do. From our convenient, affordable pet salon services to our extensive array of training classes and workshops, we always make sure to keep our commitment to healthy, happy pets front and center.
The purpose of this Veterinarian Technician position inherently involves providing excellent veterinary care to our full-service hospital patients and phenomenal customer care to their owners. The Veterinary Technician represents the mission and values to all clients. Our Veterinary Technician sets the tone within the technical and customer support staff in the hospital, and is responsible, like all team members, for fostering cohesion and motivation within the team.
All hospital staff are responsible for performing their duties in a way that creates an environment in which:
- The patient’s needs always come first;
- Every team member understands that they have the power to do what it takes to create an exceptional customer and patient experience;
- Contentious issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur when possible, or as soon as is possible;
- Exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits the entire organization
Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to consistently perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Greet clients and patients arriving for appointments or walk ins and escort into an exam room, obtain weight and vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations, pain score, body condition score), and record all in the electronic medical record, begin documentation of the patient visit in the electronic medical record by documenting a thorough patient history.
- Assist veterinarian with appointments (routine and emergency), surgery, dentistry, and euthanasia, taking direct supervision from the veterinarian(s) and the Hospital Office Manager.
- Perform patient restraint, obtain and process laboratory samples, handle and dispense medications at the direction of the veterinarian, and maintain the electronic medical record.
- Schedule appointments communicate with and educate clients, relay test results to doctor and clients, maintain and update inventory as well as client/patient records, and manage accounts receivable.
- Prepare patients for surgical and dental procedures, safely support induction and monitoring of anesthetized patients including checking and recording vital parameters (under direction of the veterinarian), monitor patients during recovery, and prepare them for going home or transfer to an overnight care facility as needed.
- Provide in-hospital treatments for sick patients including giving injectable and oral medications as well as intravenous fluid therapy; keep patients clean, watered, and fed (when indicated and directed by veterinarian), and safely walk canine patients when necessary for elimination.
- Participate in the training of new staff members and general dissemination of knowledge as required.
- Keep hospital environment neat and clean; perform regular cleaning of environment based on necessity as well as based on a pre-determined maintenance schedule.
Nature of Supervision
In all activities related to the care of individual patients, the incumbent will take direct supervision from the veterinarians as well as the Hospital Office Manager. For purposes of overall supervision, the incumbent takes direction from the Hospital Office Manager.
Planning and Problem Solving
Like all team members, the Veterinary Technician plays a crucial role in ensuring that day-to-day operation of the hospital is efficient and provides an optimal experience for our patients, members, and non-member clients.
This position will impact the organization by contributing to the growth of a productive practice while focusing on a high-quality standard of care. From an overall hospital organizational standpoint, this position in critical to ensuring that we have a cohesive, well-trained, and motivated technical team. The desired end result is the creation of an optimal environment that ensures employee retention, patient well-being, and customer satisfaction.
This position has no immediate supervisory duties.
College or college-equivalent education (completed) as required in becoming a Credentialed Veterinary Technician in the state in which the hospital is located
Must have at least 1-year previous experience or working in a veterinary practice
Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Must be compassionate and sympathetic, and be able to maintain a professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful situations
Must have telephone and computer skills
Patient restraint, venipuncture, IV catheter placement, administration and knowledge of vaccinations, administration of injectables; IM, SQ, IV, surgical and anesthetic monitoring