Job Type: Full-time
Description: Animal Shelter Manager
Overview of Job: This position is responsible for managing and overseeing the Behavior and Partnership Programs prioritizing the mental wellbeing and quality of life for animals in our care; Areas of responsibility include animal behavior assessments, behavior modification strategies, placement of animals through transport and breed rescue, and the stewardship of our highly successful Foster and Behavior Training Programs. This position is responsible for the design, implementation, and continuous improvement these programs.
Success Criteria & Essential Skills:
● Possessing an exceptional track record within a customer service environment, this position will build strong relationships with internal and external customers maintaining the highest level of customer engagement.
● Results focused, the successful incumbent will outline both performance and developmental goals for the team and help to ensure successful delivery of short- and long-term goals and outcomes including intake of animals, creating placement opportunities, and the delivery of foster program placements.
● Detail oriented and an effective problem solver, this job will develop and streamline strategies, work practices and procedures while ensuring that they remain current and available to the team;
● An exceptional motivator of people, the incumbent is responsible for actively listens to others, inviting suggestions and ideas from employees and volunteers to ensure continuous improvement and will deliver regular and ongoing feedback. Values others’ input and skills and involves them in critical thinking and decision making.
● Strong communicator both verbally and written, with an analytical mind to prepare, analyze and evaluate outcomes and results. Responsible for submitting monthly dashboards/analytical reports.
● A robust critical thinker, the successful applicant utilizes data to analyze, evaluate and propose new programs or changes to existing programs to meet departmental and organizational goals. Development of departmental goals focuses on actively seeking revenue and reducing expenses where possible.
● The successful incumbent will always remain alert and aware of animal behavior and physical condition to ensure client and employee safety. Ensures animals are handled humanely and appropriately by clients, employees, and volunteers always.
● Treats all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance and promoting a humane and caring attitude toward all animals.
● Performs all other duties as necessary and required.
Education and/or Experience:
● High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
● Experience working in the companion animal behavior field required.
● Bachelor’s degree or some college preferred.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge:
● Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment substance screening.
● Must have 2 years of demonstrated supervisory knowledge including: hiring and recruitment of key positions, development and delivery of training, and employee engagement and motivation. Skilled in mediating disputes, conflicts, and grievances
● Must have (or be able to obtain) a valid State of Louisiana driver’s license.
● Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills to include knowledge of interviewing techniques, public speaking, and written communication
● Highly competent in Microsoft Office especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
● Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects through robust project management and work plans.
● Expected to work extended hours as needed as this position is part of the core team in Storm & Emergency Response situations. This requires the ability to work weekends and maintain a 24 hr. on call status.
● Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds; push and pull heavy objects; bend, twist, reach; perform strenuous physical activities including frequent walking and running, standing, bending, and stooping.
● Should not be allergic to animals or nuts; must be able to work around all animals and nut products.
● Must be able to work with industrial strength cleaners and disinfectants.
● Works in an area with a high noise level.
● Potentially subject to animal bites and scratches.
Pay Range: $52,000 – $65,000
Benefits include but not limited to:
● Health Insurance, Life Insurance, 401K match
● Qualification and assistance for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
● 168 hours PTO and 14 paid holidays
● Mentorship and supportive team environment
**We encourage you to visit our YouTube Page to see videos of our staff in action!
Location: Animal Care, 1700 Mardi Gras Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70114Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
- Experience working in the companion animal behavior field required.
- Bachelor’s degree or some college preferred.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds; push and pull heavy objects; bend, twist, reach; perform strenuous physical activities.
- Should not be allergic to animals or nuts; must be able to work around all animals and nut products.
- Must be able to work with industrial strength cleaners and disinfectants.