Come be a part of something bigger!
More than 25,000 abandoned, abused, and neglected animals find second chances through the unique talents, expertise, and experience of the dedicated employees at Halifax Humane Society. Our strength lies in our diversity, positive service attitude, and determination to succeed. Come be a part of our “Be the Difference” culture, where every employee, at every level, in every job strives to make a positive impact in the lives of vulnerable animals while serving the needs of our co-workers, guests, and supporters in our community.
We are a strong believer in offering our employees Work-Life Effectiveness through, practices, policies, and programs to help our employees achieve success at both work and home. Here are just some of the great benefits we offer:
- Full Time employees have access to medical insurance (HHS pays 90% of the premium). Vision and dental insurance are also available to fit your needs.
- Paid Time off
- Simple IRA (Let us help you build your financial future with a 3% match!)
- Employee Assistance Program (We are here to support you!)
- Employee Appreciation Events
- Product and service discounts
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Opportunity for federal student loan forgiveness (https://studentaid.gov)
Performs technical and routine animal care and other related duties at the animal shelter. The work involves giving vaccinations, cleaning and maintaining kennel areas, and performing related shelter duties. Workers carry out daily assignments, follow through on matters using independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions when dealing with standard recurring situations.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Provide adequate food and water to shelter animals daily.
- Monitor animals and immediately report health or behavior abnormalities to supervisor.
- Assistant and monitor animals during surgical procedures.
- Administer medications.
- Assist the veterinarian with exams and vaccinations.
- Participate in stress and disease reduction efforts through purposeful and compassionate handling and placement of animals in the shelter environment.
- Perform animal bathing and basic grooming.
- Assist with animal admission, evaluation and treatment.
- Create and maintain necessary animal records, perform data entry.
- Follow established disease control protocols to daily clean, disinfect and maintain shelter kennels, cages and general areas.
- Operate cleaning equipment.
- Restock cleaning areas with supplies and equipment.
- Maintain equipment in working condition, report equipment or supply needs to supervisor.
- Maintain work and general areas in an organized manner.
- Represents HHS well by providing good customer service.
- Knows, understands and follows procedures and policies of the Halifax Humane Society.
- Maintain and promote a positive public image standard relevant to HHS.
- Attend and participate in departmental and shelter meetings. Attend educational venues as recommended/approved.
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers, recognizing the talent and commitment they bring to the society.
- Interact with co-workers and volunteers in an efficient and courteous manner to ensure a cooperative team environment amongst all departments.
- Ensure a safe work environment, following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practice.
- Take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, client, animal or the organization at risk.
- Report any safety hazards or unsafe use of HHS equipment to supervisor immediately.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Arrive to work on time and work the entire shift.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Prefer the completion of a two or four year veterinary technician program at an accredited college or university with computer training or experience.
- MUST have 1-year Veterinarian Technician experience.
- Course concentration or practical experience in animal welfare, familiarity with animal diseases and behavior preferred.
- Efficiency and expediency is required to fulfill required responsibilities.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel software and PetPoint program is a plus.
- Available to work weekends, holiday shifts and overtime as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of pet behavior and care. Ability to work with all kinds of animals in a safe and responsible manner.
- This position requires an individual who can cope with the stress of euthanasia.
- Good work ethic and attentive to details.
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise complete discretion when dealing with confidential information.
- The ability to work compassionately and humanely with animals that may be fractious and possibly attempt to bite or scratch.
- Knowledgeable and sympathetic to the principles, purposes and objectives of a humane organization.
- Must be able to respond quickly to emergencies.
- Computer skills in a Windows environment preferred including Word, Excel and PetPoint.
Must have the ability to prioritize and handle high levels of stress. Position requires excellent organizational skills, as well as high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Must be dependable, have proven ability to meet deadlines and follow detailed instructions without need of constant support.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Work is performed in a kennel/shelter setting and outdoors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Halifax Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Halifax Humane Society is a Drug Free Workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.00 – $20.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In personRequired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Please see Job Description