Working at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York positions you at the center of the financial world with a unique perspective on national and international markets and economies. You will work in an environment with a diverse group of experienced professionals to foster and support the safety, soundness, and vitality of our economic and financial systems.
The Bank believes in work flexibility to balance the demands of work and life while also connecting and collaborating with our colleagues in person. Employees can expect to be in the office a couple of days per week as needed for meetings and team collaboration and should live within a commutable distance.
What we do:
You will apply engineering principles and methods in the implementation of construction and alteration projects throughout Bank-owned buildings and leased space. You will participate in installing, altering, maintaining, acting as technician for, and repairing a wide variety of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC/HVACR) systems. Willingness to work in a comprehensive, 24 hour work schedule is a must.
Your role as Lead HVAC Engineer:
- Participate in and when required lead the work of technicians and engineers responsible for performing the following activities:
- Operating, maintaining, and repairing central and computer room air conditioning equipment twenty-four hours per day, seven days per week
- Operating, maintaining, and repairing equipment used in the distribution of electrical energy including UPS/EPS systems
- Operating, maintaining, and repairing the heating and ventilation systems
- Operating, maintaining, and repairing all fire safety and protection equipment
- Operating, maintaining, and repairing all kitchen systems, equipment and hot water service
- Record and maintain chemical treatment levels in chill/condenser water systems
- Maintain daily logs of equipment operation and prepare special reports of work performed
- Troubleshoot problems in the heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVAC/HVACR) systems, and recommend solutions to the Assistant Chief Engineer or the Chief Engineer
- Perform skilled mechanical work in the repair or renovation of power plant equipment and systems
- Operate computer terminals/software to check the operation of equipment and machinery including the Banks building management systems for owned and leased facilities. Also, must be able to operate and interact with the Banks computerized maintenance management system.
- On evening, night and weekend shifts, you will assume responsibility for all routine operation activities (e.g., HVAC, electrical, life/safety operation) in the Banks owned facilities and monitors the Banks systems within its leased space. In the event of an emergency, direct personnel in emergency procedures until the Assistant Chief Engineer or Chief Engineer arrive
- Maintain inventory of power plant equipment and supplies
- Train less experienced technicians and engineers in the operation, maintenance, and repair of the Banks power plant equipment and systems and assigns, guides and reviews their work
- This description outlines the general nature of the work to be performed by employees assigned to this classification. Other related duties may be assigned as required.
What we are looking for:
- Experience with hand and power tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, drills and hammers; refrigeration gauges, various electrical meters, measuring devices and computer terminals at the journeyperson level.
- Standing and walking and occasional heavy lifting of equipment and machinery
- In-depth expert knowledge of HVAC / HVACR, refrigeration, electrical, and life/safety systems
- Excellent knowledge of the power plant equipment installed in the Bank’s owned and leased facilities including the uninterrupted power supply (UPS) and emergency power supply (EPS) systems
- Strong technical and PC skills including working knowledge of electronic mail, word processing, and spreadsheet applications and knowledge of the Divisions automated systems and software applications, such as: Building Management, Fire Alarm and Emergency Generator software applications.
- Ability to work day, evening, night and weekend shifts, assuming responsibility for operations-related activities within the Banks owned and lease facilities
Salary Range: $83600 – $99000 / year
We believe in transparency at the NY Fed. This salary range reflects a variety of skills and experiences candidates may bring to the job. We pay individuals along this range based on their unique backgrounds. Whether you’re stretching into the job or are a more seasoned candidate, we aim to pay competitively for your contributions.
Touchstone Behaviors set clear expectations for leading with impact at every stage of our careers and aspire to achieve in our continued growth and development.
Communicate Authentically: Empathetically engage one another with direct and transparent dialogue and listening. Actively discuss viewpoints with respect and compassion in a timely and candid manner, taking into account verbal and nonverbal cues. Ask questions, learn from each other, and share information widely to move the Bank’s work forward.
Collaborate Inclusively: Inspire a diverse and inclusive environment that empowers others to contribute meaningfully. Intentionally bring a diverse set of people together to achieve positive business results.
Drive Progress: Grow and adapt to changing priorities in the Bank. Experiment with new concepts and take appropriate risk to drive innovation. Remain curious and action oriented, navigating through ambiguity and uncertainty to drive outcomes.
Develop Others: Equitably champion, mentor, and develop others to grow professionally. Demonstrate vulnerability and empathy to create a trusted environment.
Take Ownership: Establish an environment of action and excellence by holding self and others accountable to execute to the highest standard.
Our organization offers benefits that are the best fit for you at every stage of your career:
- Fully paid Pension plan and 401k with Generous Match
- Comprehensive Insurance Plans (Medical, Dental and Vision including Flexible Spending Accounts and HSA)
- Subsidized Public Transportation Program
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Onsite Fitness & Wellness Center
- And more
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, performance standards or requirements, efforts, skills or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Job Exempt (Yes / No)
Third (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.
See above description