Open House every Thursday 5pm-7pm! Speak with Veterinary Practice Manager and HR Director, tour of facility, fill out application, learn about CAP and the clinic, and discover what we do to save animals’ lives in Houston! Come and see us at 17555 Katy Fwy, Houston, TX 77094.
Responsible for assisting the Veterinarians to ensure that animals scheduled for surgery are processed in a humane and professional manner. To help ensure that all areas of the clinic operate efficiently and the clinic is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition. Oversee the technician staff with regards to training and proficiency in surgery related activities. Responsible for the overall flow of surgeries, ensuring staff are keeping pace, and that all surgeries are completed that are assigned in adherence with protocol, policies and humane treatment of all animals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the veterinary technicians and volunteers in performing daily work tasks, ensuring full completion of policies and procedures in safe and effective environment for staff.
- Oversee processing of paperwork for surgery animals and releasing animals to their owners.
- As a senior manager, work with Shelter Director, Shelter Manager, FCAP Coordinator, and other medical staff to fully communicate actionable items to the shelter and clinic staff.
- Under the direction of the Veterinarians, oversee processing of animals for surgery. Perform health examinations, take temperatures, administer vaccinations if needed, and other basic veterinary services required.
- Oversee the monitoring of animals after surgery.
- Report possible health problems or unsafe conditions immediately to the Veterinary Practice Manager and maintenance ticket program.
- Oversee inventory of supplies and medications and inform Veterinary Practice Manager when items need to be ordered.
- Monitor clinic employees for adherence to policy, disciplinary actions needed, tardiness, etc, and inform Veterinary Practice Manager when a disciplinary action needs to be taken.
- Sit in on disciplinary actions when requested by the VPM.
- Effectively train staff on skills related to surgery, ensuring they pass their skill sheets with ease. Coordinate with Veterinary Practice Manager on completion of Skill Sheets and all required training of staff.
- Attend career development, animal welfare meetings and conferences when approved.
- Proficiency at all lower technician skill sheet items.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Veterinary Practice Manager.
Salary: From $18.00 per hour
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
At least two (2) years formal training or equivalent experience in a veterinary clinic with lead surgery duties.
Licensed Vet Tech certification preferred.
About Citizens for Animal Protection
Citizens for Animal Protection is a non-profit organization in the Greater Houston area that cares for pets in need through sheltering, adoption, humane education, spay/neuter services, low-cost wellness and community outreach. Employees are first attracted to CAP because of their love for animals, they stay because they recognize the positive impact they have on the animals' lives. The intrinsic value of working with rescue animals is strong, as are the lifelong friendships among employees.